Monday, August 14, 2006

Am I Worth Saving?

There are times in my life when I think I am not worth very much. I look at the sin in my life, the struggles I face, and the person I am compared to the person I long to be. It seems like the bad out way the good. Like the car that has sustained significant damage from an accident so now the cost to repair it is more than what it is actually worth, I feel that the price of my salvation is greater than what I have to offer.

If we are truly honest with ourselves there is nothing about us that makes us worth saving. We have been in rebellion against God and have used the resources He has given us to support the Enemy’s cause. Sin plagues are lives and has corrupted us from what God originally created us to be. If we approached it from a logically point of view we are not worth saving. The totaled car is destined for the junk heap and we are destined for hell.

But the Good News is that God doesn’t do the logically thing! Many times His actions fly in the face of what we would consider to be logical as He demonstrates His love to us. What saves the totaled out car from the junk yard? When the owner has some special attachment to it. When that happens the car is put into the process of restoration. True restoration isn’t just about bring things back to their original state, but often entails improvements as well.

There is no good in us that would compel God to save us, but God’s love moves Him to save us. Is not about us, but it is about God’s love. We are saved because of God. The Apostle Paul wrote this to his disciple Timothy; This is a true saying, and everyone should believe it: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—and I was the worst of them all. But that is why God had mercy on me, so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst of sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life (1 Timothy 1:15-16; NLT).

God looks at us and sees the sin and the corruption in our lives and it breaks His heart. Why? The reason is because we weren’t created for the garbage dump of hell, but for eternal glory with God. God saves us, not because of the good works we have done, but because of who we can become. Being the creations of God we carry with us divine potential to influence the course of human history, to impact the lives of other people, and have an intimate relationship with God. We are saved because God has a great desire to see His creation realize their potential.

Early Sunday morning I was feeling pretty worthless. I wondered why God would bother with a guy like me and if I could ever really break free from the chains that keep me from becoming the person I was created to be. That is when I stumbled, literally, across the Gladiator/Nickelback video that I posted on Sunday. As I listened to the words of the song it got me thinking: Why would God save me? I know that He does, but why, because it sure isn’t because I have something wonderful to offer. As I have thought about this the last couple of days a simple truth has grown in my heart: God saves me because I am me and only I can fit the plan He has created for my life. If I fall to the depths of hell there is not another person who can take my place. If I don’t accomplish what God has planned for my life no one will. God created me for some glorious purpose, and I will only experience that glory when God saves me. I am saved, not because of what I have done, but because of who I can become.

1 comment:

Gene said...

Well stated Paul.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...