Saturday, August 26, 2006

Han Solo


“I love you.” Leia says. “I know;” replies Han.


That scene from the Empire Strikes Back is one of my favorite movie moments. Why? I love it because Han gets the girl. I would love to approach a relationship with such confidence to pursue knowing in the end she would love me. Han is my hero because he gets the girl.

But that is really a superficial reason for choosing a hero. After all James Bond gets dozens of women so should he be my hero too? There is a deeper reason why Han is my hero. It is because under his tough look out for #1 exterior Han does what is right. As much as he wants to be a pirate, a smuggler, and a mercenary there is something that causes him to risk in order that he can do the right thing. Han is willing to fight for what he truly believes in.

Isn’t that the desire of men? To stand up for what they believe in and to fight for those they love. I know I have that desire in my heart. I want to walk into the action knowing that whether I live or die I did the right thing.

It is easy to hide behind that exterior wall that we erect in our lives and be the self-centered guy, the sports guy, the money guy, or the womanizer guy. Han Solo chooses, at times, to step away from that tough exterior and do what is right, and that is what sets him apart from most men and what makes him a hero worthy imitating.

So what makes the difference between a guy who hides behind a well-constructed mask and one who decides to play the hero? I believe the difference is courage. We hide because we are afraid. We either afraid of consequences of our actions or we are afraid that we don’t have what it takes, but in the end it is still fear that keeps us behind the wall hiding in order to save our own skin.

Jesus calls men to leave their lives of fear, of hiding behind the wall, and become who they were created to be. The Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy, God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7; NLT). Paul is urging Timothy to step up and use the abilities that he had been given to confront the Kingdom of Darkness. Fear was holding Timothy back, but Paul reminds him that as Christ-Followers we are to live courageous lives through the Holy Spirit’s presence in our lives.

Heroes don’t hide in fear, but the engage the battle throwing everything that they have at the enemy. God is calling us to step out from our hiding places and engage the enemy and to put all the resources He has given us into the war against the Evil One. We are called to be heroes as we battle the evil that we find all around us.

Han stepped out from behind his hiding place and came back to rescue Luke so the first Death Star could be destroyed. God is calling us to step out from our hiding places so that He might rescue our wives, families, communities, and nations from the grip of the Evil One. It is only when we respond in courage that we can be the heroes this world truly needs.

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...