Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Snake-Eyes

This next hero is probably one that most of you are not very familar with. I came to connect with him when I had a subscription to GI Joe published by Marvel Comics. Snake-Eyes is the silent ninja from G.I. Joe and his story is an amazing one.

Snake-Eyes was a special forces soldier in Vietnam. Upon returning home his family, his parents and twin sister, were killed in a car accident on the way to pick him up. With his family dead Snake-Eyes went to live in Japan with his best friend, Storm Shadow, who served with him in Vietnam. In Japan Snake-Eyes learned the secrets of being a ninja. After a few years Snake-Eyes surpasses the skills of Storm Shadow. Jealousy arises. At this time one of the ninja masters, the Hard Master, was mistakenly assassinated and Storm Shadow was blamed. The real target was Snake-Eyes. After another tragedy in his life Snake-Eyes returns to the United States to Washington and lives as a hermit in a cabin in the mountains.

When Hawk began to look for people to start the G.I. Joe team Stalker tells him about Snake-Eyes, whom he had served with in Vietnam, so Snake-Eyes has a new chapter for his life. But in that very first mission of the team, a rescue mission in the Middle East, something went terribly wrong with the helicopters, and because Snake-Eyes sacrificed his chance to escape to help his love Scarlett get out his face is disfigured and his voice is lost. Through all his tragedy Snake-Eyes continued to do his duty. He didn’t run off and wallow in self-pity. He did what he was called to do.

I wallow in my self-pity all the time. Things in life don’t turn out the way I want it to and I isolate myself and complain about how terrible my life is. Rather than doing what I am called to do I look for a way to hide a way to escape. I forget that in order to overcome self-pity I need to get out and do. When I do my duty as I a Christian I am able to overcome the self-pity in my life.
“But you, Timothy, belong to God; so run from all these evil things, and follow what is right and good. Pursue a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness. Fight the good fight for what we believe. Hold tightly to the eternal life that God has given you, which you have confessed so well before many witnesses” (1 Timothy 6:11; NLT).
The Apostle Paul tells Timothy that he needs to run from evil things, including our self-pity. The evil in the world can weigh us down and keep us from accomplishing what God wants us to do. To fight the good fight and live a life of faith, by doing our duty, we are able to overcome the bad in our lives. If we never move and do the things we know we are to do, we will be weighed down with the evil in our lives and our lives, rather than getting better, will actually get worse.

Doing our duty helps overcome the bad things in our lives. It gives us the opportunity to move and to live even when everything else doesn’t make sense. Duty gives us a life to live when the passion for life has fled from us. When all other reasons to live are gone, duty gives us the hope we need to continue to live a life of faith. It is what gets us through the deserts of life.

1 comment:

Joy in the Journey said...

Wasn't Paul a gifted encourager???

I pray that God will give you strength through counting your blessings and serving others.

Joy

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...