Saturday, September 23, 2006

Being True to God's Design

One of my passions in life is to help people along the path to become the people God created them to be. That is why I am amazed at what John Rumple in his devotional thought (I would call it an editorial thought) God Made Me Gay (Article no longer available):
Rather, I simply want to tell you how being grateful to God for being gay has affected my life, and how failing to be grateful can have devastating consequences.

My purpose in sharing this is not to condemn Rumple, but to point out how easy it is for us to justify our sin by saying: God made me this way. Sin always seems natural. In fact following Jesus often seems to be the most unnatural thing we can do. The Apostle Paul put it this way:

21 I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong.22 I love God's law with all my heart.23 But there is another power* within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me.24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin (Romans 7:21-25; NLT).
There is this battle we constantly fight between the people we naturally are and the people God created us to be. Just because something feels right or seems to be natural doesn't mean that is what God intended for our lives.

When we go with the flow of what seems natural we miss out on one of the most profoundexperiencess we can have of God. That experience is God's provision to meet our needs as we strive to become the people God created us to be. One of my favorite passages of Scripture is 2 Peter 1:3-4:

3 By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence.4 And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world's corruption caused by human desires (NLT).
When we truly follow Jesus we will trust God to meet all the needs in our lives. Sin is often our attempts to meet our needs (either legitimate or felt) in a manner contrary to God's will. So faith is about trusting God above ourselves in meeting the needs in our lives.

Becoming the people God created us to be isn't so much about staying true to our "nature," as it is about living by faith. By trusting God more than we trust ourselves we find ourselves moving closer and closer to the person God created us to be. After all isn't that our goal?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Paul!
Wren (Montreal, Canada)
http://z6.invisionfree.com/denominations
(my new forum)

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...