Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Broken and Contrite Spirit


But the LORD still waits for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the LORD is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for him to help them. ~ Isaiah 30:18; NLT
I am full of talk. When I am feeling down it is easy for me to talk about waiting on the Lord and trusting the plans of God, but my actions tell a different story. Rather than going to God for comfort I seek other ways to distract myself from the circumstances around me. Then I wonder why nothing changes in my life.

In Isaiah God makes it clear that He wants to help us. He desires to show us the love we want and need to have. Though God’s love is unconditional and is offered to everyone we still must chose to go to God in order to receive it. We will not discover it while we are seeking life on our own.

How do we receive the love God has for us? King David in Psalm 51 gives us an insight on how we are to approach God:


You would not be pleased with sacrifices, or I would bring them. If I brought you a burnt offering, you would not accept it. The sacrifice you want is a broken spirit. A broken and repentant heart, O God, you will not despise (vss. 16, 17; NLT).
We are not to approach God with a religious piety and tradition. Going through the motions of a religion does not move God’s heart. What moves the heart of God is when we approach Him weak and broken. Not because He enjoys to see our suffering, but because it is then we realize that only through Him do we have hope. Until we approach the throne of God broken and repentant we will never realize the awesome love God has for us. Pride is the biggest obstacle we have in experiencing the love God has for us.

When we are prideful we look to change our circumstance ourselves. We will pursue happiness the way we think is best. We may say all the right things and do all the right things, but pride will keep us from experiencing God’s love.

I am so tired of mouthing the right things and ignoring God. My pride has kept me from admitting my weakness and my need for God’s strength. I come before God with a humble spirit in search of His love. Will you do the same?

3 comments:

Christian Eye said...

Paul,

Amen, brother. It can be hard to release our pride sometimes but it is imperative.

Thank you for commenting on Keri's and my postings. I know we both appreciate the encouragement now and then.

On a side note I see by your profile that you are in Iowa City. I grew up not even an hour from there. Its nice to see someone online from the general area of my stomping grounds.

Anonymous said...

Paul, this is my first-ever comment via computer, and I would not respond if not so moved just now.

Two months ago I was "broken" to pieces in a motorcycle wreck. I will not walk, function, or look the same, and I think spiritual brokenness has that same effect. Near-death by the roadside followed by healing is similar to the self being crucified with Christ and resurrected to new life, at least to me.

But pride obstructs our pathway to the other side of life, where God desires that we follow Him into. My brokenness peaked when I could not move three limbs or open either eye, when I couldn't do one thing for myself, when hope was hard to find. My adult daughter offered to give me a real bath, since I could barely tolerate being touched, and I was beginning to smell. I am modest (and prideful), but I could not decline such ministry. I laid on that hospital bed helpless, hopeless, blinded, and naked while she tenderly scrubbed spatters of blood and layers of betadine, sweat, and grime. All I could do was weep and praise God, Who heard and answered my every cry from my posture of helpless and naked honesty. And when pride was abandoned, He washed and healed my soul. Ben

Sarah said...

" The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise"

God gave me this very verse just yesterday. For the longest time I have been trying to do all things right in His eyes... but I know he wants me to let go of my pride. The one thing I just cannot give up and refuse to surrender.

I feel it is the last thing I have, like my self- dignity.

I always figured it wasn't so bad as long as I used it for motivation... but I realize that is exactly why God hates it. We need to rely on Him only.

It is so interesting how you mentioned pride, i would've never thought of it in the context of this verse. I think it might actually be the very thing I have been fooling myself to believe that is good for me. I have come to rely on my strenght and pride in times of weakness.

Thank you so much for your post.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...