Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Living by Faith

“As long as man hovers within the safety of his sight and his visible resources, relatively little will be accomplished.” ~ Arthur Harrington; What The Bible Says About Leadership
I am not worth very much. I have no superstar qualities which make me stick out from the crowd. While I possess talents I don’t have anyone talent that is uniquely mine, one that no one else shares. My talents are common and ordinary. When the world looks at me I am just another one of the mass of ordinary people.

Evaluating my talents I realize that I am not going to make an impact on a huge amount of people. I don’t have what it takes to make a huge difference in this world. It is thinking like this that assures that I will never make a lasting difference. When we do just the things we are confident in doing and doing just the things we perceive our resource will allow us to do, we will not accomplish very much.
We don’t need better self-esteem, but we need faith.

When we live by faith we understand that it isn’t about our talents or resources, but it is about God’s power at work in our lives. Stepping out to do God’s will, even when we don’t have the talents and resources, means we are giving God the opportunity to work through us.

Now, that doesn’t mean that every time we step out in faith and we seek to do something bigger than us will be a great success in our eyes. Sometimes it will even seem like a failure. I can think of more than one occasion when I stepped out in faith knowing I was doing God’s will when things turned out quite different from what I hoped. Failure in our eyes doesn’t mean God’s will wasn’t accomplished. It means God’s agenda is different from our agenda.

“And all the believers met together constantly and shared everything in they had. They sold their possessions and shared the proceeds with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity—all the while praising God and enjoying the good will of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their group those who were being saved” (Acts 2:44-47; NLT).
These early Christians were not very different from you and me. They didn’t have very much in terms of talents or resources. What they did have they gave to God, they sold what they had and gave to those in need. Rather than looking at their talents and resources they focused on how God wanted them to live and trusted Him to provide what was needed.

Part of living by faith means focusing on God’s will rather than on our resources. It requires us to understand that if we are doing God’s will, then He is going to provide what is needed to get the job done. If we wait until we have the resources or the talents to do something we are going to miss out on God working through our lives to make an impact in this world.

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...