Skip to main content

A Love Relationship

“A love relationship with God is more important than any other single factor in your life.” ~ Henry Blackaby; Experiencing God

In Experiencing God Henry Blackaby tells the following story:
One of our church members always was having difficulty in his personal life, his
family, at work, and in the church. One day I went to him and asked, “Can
you describe your relationship with God by sincerely saying, “I love You with
all of my heart’?”
The strangest look came over his face. He said, “Nobody has ever asked me that. No, I could not describe my relationship with God that way. I could say I obey Him, I serve Him, I worship Him, and I fear Him. But I cannot say that I love
Him.”
I shared that story with you because that is exactly how I feel most of the time. I obey God, but there is something that always seems to prioritized ahead of Him. I worship God, but there are too many times I don’t even give a passing thought to what He has done. Though I had many of the outward trappings of love, the feeling and attitude of love evaded me.

My favorite song off of Third Day’s worship CD Offerings II: All I have To Give is Anything. It is a song which stirs my heart. The lyrics of the song are:
Anything
I can’t do anything
I can’t do anything without You
But You can do everything
You can do everything You want
I just can’t believe
I can’t believe that You would love me
After everything
After everything
I’ve done

And I want to love You
Love You more than life itself
And I want to hold You
Even though You can’t be held
Because You’re so much more
Than everything I’ve ever known
Anything, anything

I’d give anything
I would give anything to hold You
I want to live for You
For You alone I want to live
When I see Your face
I would do anything to know You
You gave everything
You gave all
you have to give
As I thought about why I liked this song so much I came to realize that this is a simple love song. Change a few words and you have a love song that you would hear on any radio station, and that is when the truth hit me. The reason that this song touched me so much is because it is a love song. The Holy Spirit, using this song, confirmed to me that I do love God, that even though the feeling isn’t always there, the love exists.

It is such a thrill for me to be able to sing this song, which I have done many times this past week, and know that I mean every word. To know that above anything else I want to love God, to hold on to His promises, and to seek after His will.

{8} Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I may have Christ
{9} and become one with him. I no longer count on my own goodness or my ability to obey God’s law, but I trust Christ to save me. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. ~ Philippians 3:8-9; NLT
There is nothing in this life that can compare with loving Jesus! I have talked before about how each of us were created with the desire to be loved. The truth is that we also were created with the desire to love. We put a lot of things into our lives in order to fulfill that desire. There are romantic relationships, there are hobbies, there are jobs or careers, and there are families just to name a few. The reality of it is that we will never truly be able to love these things until we first love God. C.S. Lewis once wrote; “When I have learnt to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now.” Do you want to improve the love you have? First, work on your love for God, because everything else flows from that relationship.

I want you to think about this question, "Can you describe your relationship with God by sincerely saying, ‘I love You with all my heart’?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer: Married Bedtime Prayer

My wife Jenny and I have been using the Bedtime Prayer that John Eldredge wrote for Walking with God as part of our bedtime routine.  As much as I have enjoyed the prayer I thought it was time for a prayer that was better suited to pray together.  Hopefully this will encourage you to implement prayer into your bedtime routine.

Our Father in Heaven, we pause at the end of this day to say thank You.  We give You thanks for the blessing of life, for the blessing of each other, for the blessing of family, and for the blessing of a home. You have richly blessed our lives. Restore us Father to Your Son Jesus.  He is the vine and we are the branches and He has become our source of life.  Open our hearts to receive the Holy Spirit's guidance, healing, and transformation.  May our lives and our marriage bear the fruit of the Spirit.  We surrender our lives and our marriage to You.  You have our bodies, possessions, and spirits; we give You our hearts, souls, minds, and strength.  We belon…

God Uses Unlikely People

One of the things that strike me about God is that the value society has given to people makes no difference to Him. In fact it seems that God would rather use the common, even the despised, people of the world to make a difference in this world. Consider Moses. God doesn’t use Moses when he is a prince of Egypt, but when he is a nomadic shepherd. Certainly God has used the rich and the powerful, but more often than not God has used the poor, sinful, and abused. God uses the unlikeliest people.

This reality comes our loud and clear at Christmas time. Think about the major characters of the Christmas story: Joseph who is a poor and scandalize carpenter, Mary who is a young and scandalized girl, Shepherds who are a bunch of untrustworthy characters. Only the Magi have credibility in society, but this diminishes in Jewish culture since these men were Gentiles. The most important event in the history of the world and God chooses people who are rejected and wouldn’t be believed by so…

Worship is a Lifestyle

"It's a lot easier to sing a song than it is to stop and touch the broken. It's a lot less taxing to go to church than to take 'church' to the world. But sharing with others is a sacrifice of worship that makes God smile." ~ Louie Giglio; The Air I Breathe

Worship isn't just about music. Worship isn't just an activity that is planned and programmed. Worship is about glorifying God with our lives. When we seek to honor God, we worship Him.

Worship happens anytime and anyplace. It happens Sunday mornings at church. It happens Wednesday night at Bible Study. It happens when we chat with our neighbor. It happens when we serve those in need. It happens when we show love to the lonely. Worship is what being a Christian is all about.

Worship is a life lived in response to God's gracious blessings. God has given us so much. We owe Him every breath we breathe. He is responsible for our talents we use. God has given us blessing after blessing. Only a life o…