Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Die To Live

I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me. So I live my life in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. ~ Galatians 2:20; NLT

I want you to stop and think about what Paul is saying in this verse. Don’t just think you know what is be said, but take a look at each word and examine what Paul wanted us to understand.

I myself no longer live…

Paul saw himself as dead. The life he knew no longer existed. Do you view your life this way? Could you say, “I know longer live”? While we might use the language, many of us don’t see our lives this way. We are still alive and well doing our best to live according to the laws God has given to us. Paul wants us to understand that we our dead, that the life we had is no longer.

…but Christ lives in me.

Paul acknowledged that he was still alive. He still breathed, his heart still pumped blood, and he still did everything a living person would do. Something was different, and that difference was Christ living in him. What does this mean? I am not entirely sure, but I think part of it deals with our wills and desires. That Christ lives in us is also about the source of life. Remember sin causes death, but when Christ is in us we become alive.

So I live my life in this earthly body by trusting the Son of God…
Paul tells us that when we our old selves have died, we then live by our trust in Jesus. This goes back to what I wrote before about our desires and wills. Before we might have lived our lives based on our desire to be married and have a family or to have a successful career. Now the motivation our lives is the will and desire of Jesus. To trust Jesus means that we put our future and our salvation in His hands, even when we don’t understand things.

…who loved me and gave himself for me.
Paul gives us the foundation for trusting in Jesus. We trust Jesus to live our lives because He loves us. Jesus wants the best for our lives! Now we may not always agree with Him on what is best for our life, but if we know He loves us we will trust Him to guide us to the right place. How do we know He loves us? Jesus gave himself up for us. If we ever doubt the love of Jesus the cross should remind us how great His love is. We can be confident in trusting our lives to Jesus.

This isn’t anything new, but it is a good reminder of what God has done for us and what our response should be. Yet I want to leave you with this question: If you actually had to die to become a Christian, would you have died a physical death to be with Jesus? Would you give up your actual physical life and trust Jesus to give you new life?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you might be interested in my Bible Reading Notes, covering the whole of Scripture
www.christinallthescriptures.blogspot.com
www.theologyofgcberkouwer.blogspot.com
http://chascameron.spaces.live.com
Best Wishes.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...