Saturday, March 10, 2007

Holding out for a Hero

"That would be no good, not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neigbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply not to be found." ~ Gandalf the Grey; The Hobbit (page 27)



The Angel of Yahweh came and sat under the terebinth at Ophrah which belonged to Joash of Abiezer. Gideon his son was threshing wheat inside the wine-press, to keep it hidden from Midian, and the Angel of Yahweh appeared to him and said, "Yahweh is with you, valiant warrior!" ~ Judges 6:11-12; NJB

I wonder who God is calling to be a Hero in these troubled times?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a better question is, "who is God NOT calling to be a hero in these troubled times?" We are all called to stand in the gap, to be examples, to intercede for unbelievers, to rise up out of a perverse generation to be lights in this world.

Anonymous said...

I think later on in that passage in Judges Gideon said something like, "Who, ME? I just a little nobody." (See Verse 15)So often we say that to ourselves and assume the conversation ends there. But it doesnt. That excuse isnt good enough for God, and it shouldnt be good enough for us, either. I so often remind myself, "Get over yourself already- dont make this about YOU because it isnt. Its about God and what HE wants to do in me!" Am I a willing vessel to be used by Him? I want to be. Lord, help me be such.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...