Saturday, July 07, 2007

Not A Sinner

“You are not your sin; sin is no longer the truest thing about the man (person) who has come into union with Jesus.” ~ John Eldredge, Wild At Heart

How do you view yourself? In our minds we all have an image of how other people view us. In reality this is how we view ourselves, because we have very little idea of what others truly think about us. The image I have of myself is short on courage and long on inadequacy. What I tend to remember are the failures, the times I didn’t measure up to what other people thought of me.

I sometimes get pretty discouraged. Yeah, I get discouraged after the Hawkeyes lose, but then I remember it is just a game. That is not what I am talking about. It is hard for me to watch the news, because it discourages me. Yet, I remember God is still in control, so that is not what I am talking about.

I get discouraged when I look at my life and realize how much sin I still have in my life. I have this image in my mind that God is up in heaven looking at me, with a frown on his face. It is at those times that I get that feeling in my stomach that I got just before I was punished by my parents. It bothers me so much that my life is not what it should be. I am not as disciplined as I should be, I do not show compassion like I should, and could go on and on. To be honest, I feel like I am a poser, a pretender, trying to be something that I am not.

It is times like this that I wonder what God thinks about me, what He thinks about my life. When I do this I realize something important. The way God looks at my life is not the way I look at my life. While I see my sin God sees something totally different. How does God see my life?
But you are God’s chosen and special people. You are a group of royal priests and a holy nation. God has brought you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Now you must tell all the wonderful things that he has done. 1 Peter 2:9 (CEV)

God sees me as special. I am part of a royal lineage and holy. He has given me an assignment, therefore I am a trusted servant. While we see sin God sees special.
And since we are his children, we shall share his treasures -- for everything God gives to his Son, Christ, is ours, too. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering. Romans 8:17 (NLT)

God looks at me and sees His child. I am a brother of Jesus, and his inheritance is also my inheritance. I belong to God’s family. Though I might see myself as the black sheep, God has accepted me with open arms.
We are God’s work of art, created in Christ Jesus for the good works which God has already designated to make up our way of life. Ephesians 2:10 (NJB)

God see me as His work of art. He has created me. That means God has taken time on me, and has planned out a life for me to have. I may see myself as trash, but God sees a masterpiece.
The way God sees us is so different than how we see ourselves. Satan lies to us, and he wants us to believe that we are weak, sinful, and good for nothing. Too often we buy into his lies, and we don’t listen to what God is saying about us. This is not about getting better self-esteem, this is about realizing the truth about our Christian life.
So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God -- all because of what our Lord Jesus Christ has done for us in making us friends of God. Romans 5:11 (NLT)

When we are united with Christ our relationship with God changes. No longer do our sins get in the way. Jesus clears the path, making it possible for us to get to God. When our trust and love are in Jesus, that is what God sees, not our sins. Thank God for grace!

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...