Thursday, November 29, 2007

Liberty and Personal Freedom

During my brief drive to the gym yesterday I caught a few moments of Rush Limbaugh. I cut my political teeth on Rush and still like to catch him occasionally. Rush was on a rant about the fact that the Democrat presidential candidates don’t talk about freedom as much as about mandates. In other words the Democrats are interested in using government to dictate the way people live their lives. From banning smoking to mandatory health care to environmental regulations they are in favor of bigger government and more government intrusion into our everyday lives. The bigger the government gets and the more laws that are passed means a lose of freedom and personal liberty, the foundation of our nation.

The thought I pondered as I listened to Rush is that the Republicans don’t offer any good alternatives. What Republican candidate talks seriously about personal freedom and the Constitution? For the most part the only difference between Republicans and Democrats is that government would get bigger slower with the Republicans in control. Then again after 7 years of President Bush even that isn’t for certain.

The only candidate that is seriously talking about personal liberty and the Constitution is Ron Paul. The very fabric of what makes this nation great is being ignored as candidates vie for the attention of special interest groups and make promises to people that cannot be kept. If we want real change in this country we need to start listen to the message of Dr. Paul and insisting that our candidates pay more attention to the Constitution than to lobbyists.

Personal freedom and liberty are two of the reasons I am support Ron Paul for president.

3 comments:

Phillidor5949 said...

Please consider contributing on the 16th of December.
Ron Paul needs the publicity of another big fund raising day.

I’m a veteran of the U.S. Air Force active duty (4yrs) and I currently serve as a traditional guardsman in the Air National Guard. All military personnel upon enlistment take the oath: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic…” A vote for Rep. Paul does just that. Ron Paul has my support.

There is an obvious media bias and it is sad. Rep. Paul is the one candidate of the crowd who has substantially differing views and he was not given much of a chance to articulate those views. Much time was given to marginal issues and small differences between other candidates’ positions on the issues. I suspect many special interest groups have much to lose if a President Paul had a chance to use his veto pen. This is reflected in the lack of time given to Rep. Paul.

Nate said...

Paul--I'm only thru watch a bit over half of tonight's debate on Youtube, but I have been impressed with Ron Paul's answers and intelligence. My biggest fear with him is that he won't make the top tier of candidates (at least it appears that way) and then will split to make an independent run for the White House, thereby enabling the Clintons to once again enter the white house without winning the popular vote.

Paul said...

phillidor5949,
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I have already donated to Ron Paul's campaign and I don't know if I will do it again.

Nate,
I understand your worry because I have thought about it myself. Dr. Paul has said that it is unlikely that he would run if he didn't get the Republican nomination. I don't think it is much of a worry.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...