Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Christians Divided

I have a question that I would like to pose to my vast readership (all five of you): What is the responsibility of Christians in a nation divided by politics?

To me this is a very difficult question to answer. On the one hand you have desire to stand up for what is right and on the other hand you don't want to turn someone off to Jesus based on politics.

What I am looking for are ways Christians can speak clearly about moral issues of our day without letting politics muddy the waters about Jesus. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have about Christians and politics. I hope to hear from you.

2 comments:

Stan said...

This is reader #6, I think. Anyways, I share your question and concern. Exactly what is the Christian responsibility in politics?

That having been said, I'm not entirely sure I understand the connection between politics and morality. "I am looking for are ways Christians can speak clearly about moral issues of our day without letting politics muddy the waters about Jesus." Politics and morality may get interlinked, but they are only tangentially linked. I try to work hard at conversing about morality when I'm talking about morality and conversing about politics when I'm discussing politics. The Christian problem is that we too often interconnect them when they're not connected. We too often think that a particular political party or a particular political candidate or a particular political view will accomplish God's purposes on Earth or some such nonsense. No political party, candidate, or perspective will bring a person to Christ or make people "moral" (as if that's our ultimate end). We (we Christians) need to keep reminding ourselves of this.

Paul said...

Stan,
I totally agree with you. I think what the Church in this country is perceived as doing (I am not totally convinced it is the entire picture) is using politics to promote our moral agenda. So you have the charges of creating a theocratic state.

Thanks for the comment, it helped clarify some of my thinking.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...