Saturday, April 12, 2008

Focus is Everything

How to Pray: Part 6

If we are going to have a relationship with God then prayer has to be a part of our lives. Hopefully you have come to realize that prayer isn’t about giving God a list of demands that you want met, but it is about seeking to connect with our Heavenly Father.

That means that prayer has to be something we are committed to. My main problem with prayer has been that I haven’t been committed to it. I have believed that God would bring about His will and so I had to do is trust Him. You see, when I had the wrong view about prayer I didn’t understand why I even should be devoted to prayer. As my understanding of prayer has changed I now realize that the importance of prayer isn’t about getting “answers” to my prayers, but it is about connecting with God. Our relationship with God depends on our commitment to prayer.

If prayer is so important to our relationship with God how should we pray? Jesus gave us a model prayer in response to that question:
9 “Therefore, this is how you should pray: ‘Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. 10 May your kingdom come. May your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us today our daily bread, 12 and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us. 13 And never bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’” (Matthew 6:9-13; ISV)


The truth we can take away from The Lord’s Prayer is this: Prayer is about focusing on God. When we make God the focus of prayer, rather than our needs and wants, then we will discover the true power of prayer. What will happen is that we will begin to change our perspective on life as God’s will becomes more real to us. I believe prayer helps us break through our self-centeredness and focus on God.

Prayer needs to be a dynamic part of our lives. It should energize us and connect us with God. The reality is many Christians tend to feel frustrated and confused about prayer. The problem I believe is our focus. Are we focusing on our wants, needs, and desires or are we focusing on God and who He is and His love for us? When it comes to prayer focus is everything. What are you focusing on during prayer?

  • Point to Ponder: Prayer helps us break through our self-centeredness and focus on God.
  • Passage to Remember: Matthew 6:9-13
  • Question to Consider: What is your focus for prayer?

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...