Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Spiritual Community

In The Safest Place on Earth Larry Crabb writes, "Like you, I want to contribute to spiritual community, to provide my family and friends with a safe place to face their brokenness and find God" (p. 38). I don't know about you, but I share that desire.

I love being able to preach, teach, and write about God's Word. My motivation has always been to encourage people as they travel the road of faith. I have always hoped that something that I have said or have written has encouraged a person to take that next step of faith.

As much as I have loved this I have growing desire in my heart to truly connect with other people. To enter into their lives in such away that I am not seen as the preacher or teacher, but as brother and friend. In other words I want to live life with other people instead of following my agenda and trying to overcome my problems and fears on my own.

It is a desire to experience Christian fellowship that moves past potlucks and Sunday morning greeting times. A fellowship that serves together, play together, learns together, loves together, prays together, and worships together. A fellowship where we take on each others burdens' as well as celebrate each others' successes.

I am tired of this individual Christianity where we isolate ourselves in our search for God and when we are together we do our best to act like we have it all together. If we want to experience real spiritual growth, not only for us as individuals, but also for our church families, then we have to enter into each others lives. We need the true fellowship of spiritual community to help us become spiritually mature.

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...