Friday, October 17, 2008

It Isn't So Scary

I have a dog named Barkley. Barkley is an 11-month-old rat terrier and I have had him for 9-months. One of the reasons I got Barkley is because I like to walk and I wanted to have a walking companion. Rat terriers need the exercise of long walks (we walk between 3 and 6 miles a day) and they are small dogs so they don’t take up half the house. Barkley is everything I was looking for in a dog.

Yesterday while we were out walking we walked past one of the many Storm Lake parks. This park has a little section devoted to memorials: World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War all have little stone monuments, about the size of a tomb stone. As we walked past the World War II memorial Barkley started to growl, at first I couldn’t figure out what he was growling at, and then I noticed he was staring straight at this stone. I began to lead him over to the stone, and he arches his back and digs in because he doesn’t want to go, and so I drag him over to it as he hides behind me. Eventually he starts to sniff around it and he realizes that it isn’t a threat at all.

The biggest obstacle I face in walking with Jesus is fear. I am a coward. There is a long list of things I am afraid of (amazingly public speaking isn’t one of them, it is one of my passions) from one on one conversations to managing money. Fear keeps me from living the life that God created me to live and it keeps me from really enjoying life.

I was thinking how nice it would be if I had someone who would walk with me and show me that my fears aren’t all that scary. You see, intellectually I know that, but get myself to believe it is another thing. I need the experience to show me that it isn’t scary. It is this reason I think mentoring is so vital for the disciple of Jesus, so we can have someone who walks alongside of us as we face the scary things of life.

2 comments:

Scott Watkins said...

As well you know, no one is perfect. By the way, I have 3 rat terriers and they are awesome dogs!

We are all works in progress.

Paul said...

Scott,
Thanks for the comment. I guess I would just like to be the finished product already.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...