Friday, January 30, 2009

Lonely Days and Grace

It has been one of those lonely days for me today. A day when it seems nobody really cares about you and you wonder if you suddenly disappeared if anyone would really notice. This isn't about romance as much as it is about fellowship. More than anything I would like to be with a group of people who are doing life together.

As I have felt this way today a passage kept coming to mind. The passage is 2 Corinthians 12:7-9. This is what the apostle Paul wrote:
So to keep me from being too elated by the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (ESV)
"My grace is sufficient for you," God tells the Apostle. It is hard to trust on God's grace when life isn't what you planned it to be. That is what makes my current situation so difficult, is because I know this is where God wants me to be, but it isn't where I want to be. So I end up fighting God's grace, rather than relying on God's grace.

What is the answer? How do we rely on God's grace? I really wish I knew, but I have this thought that it probably begins with thanksgiving and praise, seeing the good rather than focusing on the bad.

How do you rely on God's grace in the thorny patches of life?

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...