Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Who am I Honoring?

As I did my daily devotional reading this morning, there seemed to be a theme that ran through what I read. It began with the book of Malachi. God, speaking through Malachi, tells Israel: "A son naturally honors his father and a slave respects his master. If I am your father, where is my honor? If I am your master, where is my respect? The LORD who rules over all asks you this, you priests who make light of my name! But you reply, 'How have we made light of your name?' (Malachi 1:6; NET). Basically Israel was not honoring God because they were giving God less than their best. Do I give God my best?

The theme of honor continued as I read Mark Moore’s Encounters with Christ. In the reading that I read for today, Dr. Moore deals with Luke 14:7-11. Here we see that Jesus is invited to a banquet at a Pharisee’s house. Jesus watches as the invited guests vie for the more honored seats. Basically Jesus tells them that the thing to do is to set in the most humble seat and allow the host elevate them to a better seat. That is hard to do. We want to be noticed and have people pay attention to us. This is easily seen in this American Idol generation that desires fame more than anything else. “Honor me,” we shout.

I know that is a thorn in my side. One of my greatest disappointments in life is the fact that I am in a small, insignificant ministry position. I want people to talk about me, about my sermons, and about my writings the way I talk about Erwin McManus or Mark Driscoll. I want to be recognized as a superstar. Yet, what Jesus tells us that it isn’t about our position, but it is about serving. We shouldn’t be looking for other people to honor us, but we should wait for that time when God honors us. For that to happen we have to be faithful in the humble and difficult situations in life.

Father in Heaven, forgive me for seeking to honor myself ahead of You. I ask for the strength and wisdom to be faithful in the humble circumstances of life...

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...