Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saturday Link: What Baptism Requests

I am back from my 40 day internet fast. I will be sharing my thoughts on my time away on Monday. Today I want to get back into the swing of things and share with you a link that I hope will get you to think.

Baptism can be a difficult issue to discuss. There are different views on the mode and the importance of baptism, but most churches practice some form of baptism. I think John Weartherly wrote a very practical article on the subject for the March 8, 2009 issue of the Christian Standard. This is part of what he writes:
In the early church baptism brought together the core of the gospel message. It declared Jesus as the divine Lord who forgives sins in fulfillment of God’s great promises. At Pentecost Peter began his sermon by quoting Joel 2:32: “And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Acts 2:21). At the end of the same sermon, he declared, “Repent be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins” (Acts 2:38). The Lord who saves is Jesus Christ, from whom in baptism sinners request cleansing from sin, what they desperately need but cannot accomplish themselves.
I encourage you to read the rest of the article: What Baptism Requests Let me know how this squares with your belief about baptism.

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...