Wednesday, July 22, 2009

In Need of Rescue

To be the person God created me to be seems to be an unattainable dream. I keep getting held back by the same chains that have always held me prisoner: laziness, fear, and guilt. I want to be another person, but I cannot seem to change!

How does one change? In some cases making different choices is all that is required, but there are other times when we simply do not have the power and the strength to choose differently. The power of addictions, patterns, personality traits, and circumstances keep people bound to their current way of living. I know that is true for me.

For change to really happen I need to have help. I need human help. I need the encouragement and the accountability of Christians who love me. In need the prayer support of fellow believers as I seek to walk in the way of holiness. I need the companionship of Christians to remind me that I am not alone.

I also need divine help. These chains are spiritual in nature and are beyond my power to break. I have not trusted these issues to God enough. I need to turn to Him and trust Him to rescue me. Will I do it? Why is it so hard to do?

Isaiah 35:4 reads:
Say to those who have an anxious heart, “Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God.” (ESV)

What a wonderful image this is of God coming in to save the day! Evil is defeated and the prisoners/hostages are rescued. Lord, come and rescue me! Save me! Set me free!

No comments: