Friday, August 14, 2009

A Light in the Heart

Originally posted Monday March 8, 2004

"Divine moments contain the power to usher in the kingdom of God. When we choose to live our lives in such a way that His will is done on earth as it is in heaven, the kingdom of God prevails over the kingdom of darkness." ~ Erwin McManus, Seizing Your Divine Moment
I could hear the others calling in the darkness, though I could not see them. The darkness seemed to be different than anything I had experienced before. It seemed to creep and to cover. It seemed to be alive. A great doubt crept into my heart and I realized our mission was doomed to fail, there was no way we could overcome such great darkness. As I was ready to give into my despair I remembered; “My Word provides light for your journey.” Once again Arkia’s promise brought hope out of despair.

I could sense another next to me. I put my hand on his shoulder. “The darkness is overwhelming. All is lost.” Halen whispered. “Take courage my friend.” I responded. “All is not lost. Do not focus on the darkness around you. Think about the light Arkia has placed in your heart.”

“It seems such a small thing compared to this vast darkness. How can such a small light make a difference?” I smiled and lifted my staff. “Arkia, the Keeper of Light, illuminate the way” I prayed.
My staff began to glow providing us light. “Even the smallest light is able to chase the darkness away. Come let us find our friends.” ~ from The Quest of Justus


I have a desire to write a fantasy story for my nieces and nephews. Halen and Justus are two of the main characters of this story I hoped to write. Here they have landed in Akeldama in hopes of rescuing Justus’ true love.

This weekend I have been feeling very much like the heroes in this story. The truth is I wrote this in response to what I was feeling because I couldn’t describe it adequately any other way.

From sex scandals on college campuses to the talk of homosexual marriage it seems there is a tremendous darkness which has descended on the land. Saturday I felt overwhelmed by it as I wondered what I could do. Tears came to my eyes as I thought about the number of people who are missing the best life has to offer because they choose not to have a relationship with God. I wanted to do something, to fight the darkness, but I there was nothing I could think to do. It was at this time, as I was giving into the darkness and despair that I remembered this passage.
"You are the light of the world--like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see. Don’t hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand and let it shine for all. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father" (Matthew 5:14-16; NLT).


The best way we can fight the darkness we find around us is to shine. We need to show the world there is a better way to live. Sermonizing and condemning will not stop people from living in the darkness. People need to see the light. What the world so desperately needs is to see that the Word of God is relevant to their lives. Living in the light brings evidence to the dark world: God’s Way is the Way to live!

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...