Saturday, August 22, 2009

Obedience and Prayer

God taught me a lesson today. I have committed myself to taking communion to two ladies in the nursing home on a regular basis. I want to do on Tuesday mornings, but put it off yesterday by saying I would do it today. As I was praying through my prayer list I decided not to go, because I want to go around 10AM, since I was in prayer.

The problem was that once I made that decision my heart became very unsettled. I no longer could concentrate on praying and I felt extremely guilty. So I ended my prayer time, got communion ready, and yet to the nursing home. I wasn’t there for very long, but I did read scripture, talk a bit, prayed, and served communion. When I left their rooms, both ladies told me how much they appreciated my visit.

When I got back to the office I was able to finish praying and work on my sermon on Sunday. There was no guilty feeling or thinking: “I need to do that.” There was peace in my heart.

I need to remember not to get caught up in being religious so I can be obedient. Religious activities and spiritual activities can be used as a smoke screen for not obeying what God has asked me to do. I can justify it by saying: “I am praying.” or “I am reading the Bible.”, but the reality these are excuses I use to keep from doing those things I don’t want to do. Obedience is more important that prayer when I use prayer as an excuse not to be obedient.

Father help me to be obedient and not lose myself in being religious.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

It is awesome to hear that truth from someone else. There are days when I miss the morning prayer meeting on accident, but when I purposefully decide that I need to sleep in, I end up getting up earlier to get to prayer because Jesus convicts me of my decision. It is so edifying to hear how God is working in other people's lives. Thank you for your obedience and your blog!

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...