Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Confessing and a Brand New Start

I need to be honest with you. In my first post this month I wrote about how we lie to ourselves, and I shared a personal example of ordering an iPod Touch. I told myself that it would help me in organization because of the calender and note capabilities it has, even though deep in my heart I knew I wanted it because of its web capabilities. In that pondering I mentioned that I was going to send the iPod back. Well, as you might have noticed from a couple of posts recently I decided to keep it.

I won't get into the justifications I used to come to that conclusion, but I will point out that when we really want something it is very easy to justify it. The bottom line is that I started to feel techno- envy because so many other people had cool little devices and I didn't.

One of the things that I have come to like about the iPod touch is the ability to take notes. The majority of the sermons I listen to via podcast I listen to while walking my dog Barkley. I have found myself stopping and typing out different statements that catch my attention.

A few nights ago I was walking Barkley while listen to a teaching by John Eldredge. He was teaching on the need for men to fight for their wives and he said, "You can take your integrity back."

In the context he was referring to the reality that many men talking themselves out of engaging because of their past failures. Even though I am not married, I see this tendency in myself in other areas. In fact that is one of the biggest obstacles I face in life.

The point of what John said is that today is a new day, and yesterday no longer needs to haunt us. For us who follow Christ Jesus, that is not just wishful thinking, but it is reality. As the apostle John wrote 1 John, if we confess our sins God will forgive us.

I may have messed up in the past, but those failures and sins don't need to hold me back from doing the right thing today. What a blessing it is to serve a God who forgives our sins and allows us a brand new start. Now is the time to take advantage of that blessing. Pardon me, I have some confessing to do.


"Anyone can attend church. Only truly devoted followers of Jesus can
change the world." - Aaron Brockett

Sent from my iPod

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Hey Paul, I know what you mean about justifying what we want. It's a dangerous place to be. I'll be praying for us and all of our brethren that we will be still and allow the Spirit to teach us and give us discernment in daily decisions like these. We need His help to see what is important, what is wasteful, what is distracting us from hearing or seeing His guidance, etc.

And Amen! Thank God He provides us with the gift of a new start (Isaiah 43:19 is a beautiful reminder of this, and of course, 2 Corinthians 5:17)! Rereading Paul's story and his writings always gives me hope; for Jesus to take someone who persecuted and took part in killing His people and use Him to build His kingdom instead is a strange and marvelous thing. He truly does make all things new!

Jason Cooper said...

Paul. I love my iPod Touch. They are amazing pieces of technology and very helpful. I use the voice memo feature for taking quick notes, but you do need a microphone. Apple sells a headphone that has a remote control and mic on the cord. Very handy for listening while doing other things, and having the mic ready for taking down voice memos. Then syncs them back to your iTunes. Much easier than typing a note.

Although i must say i am impressed that you have typed such long posts on your iPod. What's your secret?

Paul said...

I don't know if I have a secret. To be honest I discovered that I liked the way it works and it feels natural to me. I hadn't tried the voice memo yet, but I had thought about giving it a try with the mic I use with my digital recorder

Anonymous said...

I was googling "ignoring God" and it led me to your blog. Thank God. I am so blessed by this blog. Thank you. Thank you so much. It spurred me to obey God's voice but more importantly to realize that to grow in him I cannot share 99% of my time with nonbelievers. Keep up the fine work.

Kay said...

I left a comment on another post of yours but I am just kind of sitting here shaking my head at how
amazing God is. This post is almost word for word
what I have been doing. "justifying" something
I didn't want to give up (send back) same thing,
because "I" wanted it. I kept saying, Ok, Lord,
how do I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that
I'm really hearing from you and not just deleting
things from my life i.e. people and ending up
missing you. I know, now, he's not kidding.
He's just not kidding. He spoke to me through
this post and another one on this blog.
It was so in tune with my own spirit that if I ignore him now, I really will be without excuse.
Thank you. Ipod or not, with God all things are possible.

Paul said...

Kay, I am glad that some of my writings were helpful. I hope to hear from you again, and may God continue to lead you into His truth and love.

~ Paul

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...