Monday, October 19, 2009

A Conversation With My Brother

This past weekend I spent some time with my brother and his family in Iowa City. Tom, my brother, is the senior minister at the Iowa City Church of Christ (and doing a very good job).

There were two things that came up while were we talking that I would like to share with you. We talked about the different preachers we listen to by podcast. We both listen to guys who are Reformed in their theology. Tom said that one thing that he appreciated about listening to them was their emphasis on the sovereignty of God. I laughed and told him that I felt the exact same way, and that I had considered doing a blog post on what I had learned from Reformed Theology. Listening to Mark Driscoll from Mars Hill and Matt Chandler from the Village, as well as reading Stan over at Winging It has given me an appreciation for God's sovereignty that I had lacked before.

Another item we discussed that we had arrived at the same conclusion on was the need for the family to be the primary place of discipleship in the life of children. Tom has been telling his
congregation that they cannot expect the church to disciple their kids if they aren't doing it at home. I think it is time that the Church in the US start challenging parents, not only to stick together, but to be the spiritual leaders in their children's lives. The is the number one reason why kids who grow up in the Church walk away from the faith.

It is always good to talk to someone and discover that you have both reached the same conclusion, even though you have never talked about those issues before. At least it makes you feel like you are on the right track.


"Anyone can attend church. Only truly devoted followers of Jesus can
change the world." - Aaron Brockett

Sent from my iPod

1 comment:

Stan said...

Thanks, Paul. It's good to know God can use even me.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...