Friday, October 09, 2009

It Has Been A Good Week

This week has been a good week for me. God has really been working on my heart. The problem has been (if you want to call it a problem) every time I have sat down to write out a pondering nothing has come. Everything has seemed to be inadequate to describe what I was thinking about. That is why I have been so quite this week.

Here is something that I would like to share with you. I was listeningto Erwin McManus preach on prayer on Wednesday afternoon and during
the message he said: "God always calls us to the ridiculous."

I admit that might be a little overstated, but it was exactly what I
needed to hear. I have shared a little bit about my situation, that I
am pastoring a church family that is in the final stages of dying.
Last week I met with a retired pastor who knew a little bit about my
situation and he told me; "Paul, I have never heard of a church coming
back from your situation."

You see I am in the middle of a ridiculous situation, and there is no
earthly wisdom that I can follow that will lead this church family
back to health. Yet, it is in these no win situations that God often
puts people of faith; so He can show up and we can give Him the credit.

Moses going before Pharaoh was a ridiculous situation, as was David
going to face Goliath, or Paul the Jew going to the Gentiles, or my
personal favorite of Jonathan picking a fight with 30,000 Philistines
with only his armor bearer at his side.

Over and over again we see God place people into impossible
circumstances. I have no idea what God's plan is for me here in Storm
Lake, but I am confident that unless I live by faith I will totally
miss out on the opportunity God has given me. This isn't about me
having having success, but it is about me being faithful so God can be
glorified.


"Anyone can attend church. Only truly devoted followers of Jesus can change the world.". - Aaron Brockett

Sent from my iPod

2 comments:

Pollyanna said...

Pondering is what I like to do~
So here I sit and ponder for you.

When your pastor friend said I never heard of a church coming back from your situation~
My soul cried - OH My! Could you feel my frustration?

Then I pondered- why of course not~
God never takes us back-He pulls us out.
Upon realizing this - my soul did shout.

The weeds have grown wild in your ridiculous situation~
So God is pulling them out with sweet anticipation.

Knowing that if the whole family is uprooted with the weeds-
My prayers for you will become the new seeds.

Only when there is death can rebirth come.
Praise the Lord - Worthy of Praise - He is the Only One.

Your Sister In Christ ~
Pollyanna

PS
Okay this is a ridiculous comment.. but according to your blog "God always calls us to the ridiculous"
A silly pondering perhaps, but the spirit of the pondering is written with love.

Paul said...

Thanks for the comment Pollyanna. It might have been a ridiculous comment, but it was also a fun comment, and those are always good.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...