Thursday, November 05, 2009

Be Thankful

Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away. This is one of my favorite holidays because it contains the three Fs: family, food, and football. The sad reality is that is what Thanksgiving is for many Americans. We are so busy that we never stop to ponder the blessings God has given us, let alone thank Him beyond mentioning a generic thank you in our prayers.

That is why I am writing this post now. I want to give us some time to think of ways we can thank God this Thanksgiving. Of course there are two parts to this exercise. First we have to identify the blessings we have received. One of the big blessings I received from God this year was my trip to Colorado in September. Another blessing that I have received is the instruction of the Holy Spirit, it seems to me that God opened my eyes to so many new things this past year that it was almost overwhelming. One last blessing that I will mention that seems to stand out from this year are the number of people who love and support me. Living alone it is easy to think that you are alone, but God reminded me time and time again that was not true, I do have companions to travel with on this journey of life.

How do we thank God for what He has done for us? Sure we can prayer, and I think that is a wonderful place to start, but is there a creative way you can share your thanks to God. Perhaps you have a knack for writing poetry, and so you write a poem expressing your thanks. Maybe you have a servant heart and so you use your time and talent to help people as a way of thanking God for what He has done for you.

Two of the things I am going to do this year is to write. Thank You note to God in my journal, being very specific about what I am thankful for. The other thing that I want to do is to celebrate
Communion as part of the Thanksgiving meal. If you are celebrating Thanksgiving with other Christians this provides an excellent time to imitate the early Church and weave communion into meal. What better way is there to say thank You than to celebrate the memorial meal that Jesus gave to us so we could remember Him and God's grace.

If we are going to redeem the days, then we are going to have to be intentional about how we live, and not let ourselves be pulled by the busyness of culture. This is especially true during holiday times. If we are not intentional about using Thanksgiving as an opportunity to thank God, then it will be just another day before hectic pace of Christmas hits full force.

Don't let your Thanksgiving be just about food, family, and football. Rather, be intentional and use it as a day when you creatively say thank You to God.

Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...