Saturday, November 21, 2009

Everyone Has Problems

One of the truths that we have constantly remind ourselves of is that we live in a fallen world. Things are not what they should be. That is true for me and it is true for you. The truly amazing thing isn't that we have problems in our lives, but that we have good in our lives. Though we tend to credit ourselves with the good and blame God for the bad, but that is a different topic for another day.

What I want to do today is to point out that no matter who good we think another person has it, he/she has a set of problems that are all their own. No one lives a perfect life.

I find myself, when I am feeling lonely and depressed, wishing I had a different life. "If only I had a million dollars," I think, "then I would be able to help so many people" (I had a dream recently in which I won the lottery and I was try to figure out how to give the money away).

"If only I was at a bigger church, then perhaps I would get invited to speak at events." There are times when I think it would be cool to have people seek me out for advice and value my opinions.

No matter whose life we would like to have, or what dreams we have that remain unfulfilled, there is no such thing as the perfect life. The single guy can envy the married guy and the married guy can envy the single guy, but each situation has its own unique set of challenges. The same is true for money. As much as we like to think that money is the answer to all our problems, the fact remains that a rich person has a set of problems that a poor person knows nothing about.

Because we live in a fallen world, a world where sin messes everything up, the is know problem free life. We might be getting tired of the set of problems that make up our lives, but that doesn't mean that anyone else had it easier. Since we cannot know everything that goes on in a person's life, their problems are probably not easier, they are just different.

Instead of wishing for another person's life, we need to deal with the problems that we have in our lives. Perhaps that means confessing a sin or seeking forgiveness. Maybe that means going to counseling for guidance or going to the doctor for a physical exam. Perhaps you need to create a budget and cut up the credit cards or you need to repay you friend for the money he lent you.

Worrying and wishing will not change our lives. Change happens when we seek out God's will and then take the necessary steps to accomplish that will. That means that God will provide the guidance, but we must make the choice.

Everyone has problems, so we might as well stick to our own, and put our effort towards making changes rather than wishing to trade lives with someone else. After all, I know my problems, I don't want to have to learn a brand new set of problems.

Sent from my iPod

4 comments:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

You are so right. You just have to scratch the surface of the life of another person to find someone worse off and therefore the obligation to feel grateful for what you have, no matter how little you think it is. When our children were little, there were sometimes overwhelming days: two of them had multiple handicaps (spina bifida, paraplegia, and epilepsy for one and mental retardation, cleft palate, and 16 other minor defects for the other), and the other two were gifted, one so gifted that we were told that there was no place in school for him by one of the best school districts in the USA, so he had to be homeschooled. At the time, though, my best friend, whose husband was suffering from cancer, gave birth to her second child who turned out to be a bubble baby (no immunities), but she insisted that he not be placed in a protective bubble as was done at the time. Through her experiences, no child has to live in a bubble nowadays. (Her child lived, gained immunities around age 12, and doctors learned a lot from following him.) Most recently, she could look back at my gifted son, as his daughter (my granddaughter) was born disassembled -- she was on many prayer lists, only one doctor at Stanford thought she would survive, and seven months later she is a constantly happy 7-month-old who has met every one of her developmental targets (some surgeries still to go, but those are minor details). My son has commented how lucky he feels, given the other kinds of problem babies he saw in the NICU. Yep, our problems are never as great as we sometimes think!

Paul said...

Thanks for the comment. It sure reminded me that what ever problems I have, they are minor compared to what many other people go through.

Courtney said...

Nice :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice post.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...