Monday, November 23, 2009

Would You Still Give Thanks?

This past Saturday evening I was invited to speak at the Harvest/Thanksgiving Celebration at the Alta Church of Christ in Alta, IA. Their pastor and I are friends and we have had many great conversations riding in the car to meetings.

The point of my message was that the best way for us to say thank You to God is through our obedience (Micah 6:6-8).

At the start of the message I asked them to imagine that they were in a hospital bed, paralyzed from the neck down. All their family and friends were gone, and the only their only ministry was prayer. Then I throw out this question: Would you still offer thanksgiving to God?

The reason that so many of us are thankful are because of all the good that God had placed in our lives, but would we have the faith of Job if all of a sudden hell invaded our lives?

I think these are good questions to think about, and the reaso I think that is because they help us to shift our focus away from our lives. God is doing a whole lot more in the world than just blessing our lives. We should be thankful whenever God's Kingdom breaks into this world and when God's will is done here like it is done in heaven.

In order for us to be able to give thanks through the struggles and tragedies of our lives requires us to know what God is in doing in this world. My challenge for you today is to take some time and find an example of God making a difference in this world. How is He moving in the lives of the missionaries you support? How has God softened the heart of a family member? How has God used an Americanchurch family to make difference?

This Thanksgiving season do not just focus on the wonderful blessings in you life, but also take time to thank God for the great things He is doing in this world.

Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...