Thursday, December 03, 2009

Shaped for Serving God

Originally posted Sunday, October 24, 2004

(As I was rereading this I realized that this was originally was what I wrote for the opening of worship at the Stronghurst Christian Church when we were going through the 40 Days of Purpose. I was youth minister and one of my responsibilities was to do the welcome and the call to worship)

Erwin McManus in Uprising: A Revolution for the Soul wrote; "The great things of God come out of the small acts of faithfulness."

Since you are reading this I am assuming there is a part of you which longs to live a life which pleases God. You want to hear those words; "Well done good and faithful servant," when you life is over. So we dream off all the things we would do for God if we only had the money, the time, and the talent.

The reality of life is that God has already given us what we need to serve Him. While we might think our gifts are not important or worthwhile, God has given us what we need to live a life of love: for Him and for others.

What our lives come down to then is not the gifts we have been given, but our faithfulness in using what we have. When we are faithful in using the gifts God has blessed us with we are able to make an impact for God's kingdom. We might not accomplish something what we would consider to be great, but it will be exactly what God has created us to accomplish.

Even the smallest act of faithfulness can be used to serve God. That is one of the points Jesus wanted his disciples to understand in John 13:12-17; When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." (NIV)

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...