Friday, January 29, 2010

Refocusing My Life

“What disturbs me is that now, years later, while I still believe that nothing else matters compared to knowing God, I often live as though I don’t believe it. I struggle with spiritual passivity. It eats away at me as covertly as termites in the walls of my house.” ~ Bill Perkins; Six Battles Every Man Must Win

In my heart I know that there is nothing greater in this life than to live in a relationship with God. I recall those times when life seemed so clear and I could truly call God my friend. Yet the reality of my life is that more often than not I live as if God was a distant memory and I was in control of my life.

It is so easy to lose sight of the life God has planned for us as we are pushed forward by the tides of life. It is hard to focus on God when a thousand other things demand our attention. God quickly becomes an afterthought as we address what is urgent and immediate in our lives.

How can we be more consistent in focusing our lives on God? I believe that first step we must take in refocusing out lives is to remind ourselves that the things of this world are passing away. We put so much effort into accumulating things and trying to get noticed that we sometimes forget the temporary nature of the things we are chasing after. Champions are replaced, trophies are trashed, things break, and technology becomes obsolete. As the apostle John wrote; And this world is fading away, along with everything it craves (1 John 2:17a; NLT). We need to stop and remember what survives the ravages of time.

The second step is worshiping God. We worship whenever we focus our hearts and minds on God. It could be singing songs of praise, it could be a discussion with a friend, it could be listening to a sermon, it could be a walk in the woods. When we take our eyes off God and begin to focus on the world around us that is when we begin to become more concerned with what needs to be done and the things we need to have rather than loving God. Worship is that opportunity that helps us refocus our attention on God. Praise the LORD! Praise God in his heavenly dwelling; praise him in his mighty heaven! Praise him for his mighty works; praise his unequaled greatness! (Psalm 150:1,2; NLT)

The third step is that we need to focus on relationships. People are more important than the things in our lives. We know this, but often our lives tell a different story. It is very important for us to emphasis the relationships in our lives, because it is through spending time with people that we begin to achieve those things that truly have eternal significance. It is through the time spent with family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors that we are able to become a blessing to them. By being a blessing we are able establish influence with them. Influence, rather than position and power, allows us to have a greater impact on their lives. “So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples” (John 13:34; 35; NLT).

When our lives have lost their focus and we are drowning in the “demands” of life it is time to hit the pause button and refocus on lives on what is really important. We can allow ourselves to be pushed along with the tide of life, or we can choose to live in harmony with God. That is a choice that God has left up to us to make. For my money, there is no greater life than the life that is lived for God.

1 comment:

Joy in the Journey said...

I will add "face-to-face" in front of "relationships."

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...