Monday, January 04, 2010

Take Time to Listen

I don't need to tell you that life is busy because you are living it. Life can be hectic, and if we are not intentional about carving out time for God, then we will miss it.

As much as I enjoy spending time with my family, one thing that I dislike is that it throws my devotional routine off. That is what happened to me last week as I spent time at my parents' house with my brother and his family. We had a good time together, but my time alone with God was limited and distracted.

As I begin this new week I am feeling a little bit out of sorts, and one of the reasons is because I missed out on a vital part of my devotional time last week, and that is simply taking time to listen for God's voice. That time of silent meditation has become a huge part of my time with God, and missing out on that feels like missing out on God's guidance.

I wasn't intentional about my devotional time, and though I made time for God every day, I missed out on a vital aspect of my devotions.

David in Psalm 145 conveys a very similar thought. In verse 5 he wrote; "I will meditate a on your majestic, glorious splendor and your wonderful miracles" (NLT). It is this time of silent reflection that enables us to make sense of life and just how great and wonderful God really is.

I urge you to take some time today and get alone with your Bible and you thoughts and meditate on God and His Word.

Sent from my iPod

2 comments:

Neill said...

Thanks for saying this...I thought I was the only one who struggled with devotions while visiting family.

Paul said...

I think this is a fairly common experience because our devotion time is usually a time of routine, and when we are away from home our routine is disrupted. I experience the same thing when I go to church camp in the summer.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...