Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Hurt of Healing

The past two days have been a roller coaster ride of emotions for me. God has used circumstances in my life to bring much needed healing to my heart, but it was not an easy process. It was a painful process that forced me to look at a place in my heart that I would have rather ignored, but it was something that needed to be dealt with if I was ever going move forward in faith. The amazing thing to me is that intellectually I know this needed to be done, but emotionally I feel like I have lost a significant part of my life. To be honest it hurts like crazy.

I think the reason so many of us miss out on the healing God wants us to experience in this life is because we are scared of the momentary pain of letting go of the things that have us in bondage. I know for me I was terrified to let go of what God asked me to lay at His feet because it was how I learned to cope with my loneliness. "To give this up," I thought, "means I have face the reality that I am alone" (that I am without romantic attachment, not that I lack friends.)

Because we give into the terror we choose to cling to whatever SEEMS to give us hope, peace, love, etc. rather than trusting that God will lead us to a place of freedom and healing.

Remember in Exodus, the children of Israel cried out to God to be delivered from slavery in Egypt, but after they experienced some difficulty in the desert they cried to go back to Egypt rather than to trust God to provide for their needs and protection. Given the choice they would have rather spent their lives in the misery they knew than go through the process of finding freedom by trusting God.

As strange as it sounds the same is true for us. We may call out for healing and deliverance, but when things become difficult or painful we give up, deciding that it is easier to live in the misery we know than to go through the pain we don't know.

Here is what I want to communicate today: in order to experience God's best we have experience the pain of deliverance. I think this is why the author of Hebrews wrote:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God's throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won't become weary and give up. After all, you have not yet given your lives in your struggle against sin. (Hebrews 12:1-4; NLT)

Think about the price God has paid for our deliverance. Because He was willing to do whatever it took that should give us the motivation we need to pay the price that will lead to our deliverance and healing. Not only that, but because of the pain God went through we can trust Him to get us to the right place, even if the process is painful. The promised land of healing is on the other side of the wilderness of hurt, so don't give up, but trust God to get you to the right place.

Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...