Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Out of Routine

Around Christmas time I wrote a pondering that dealt with the fact when I am with family my routine gets pushed to the side. While in many ways this isn't a bad thing because we are together, it does seem to affect my time with God.

Currently I am at the Preaching and Teaching Convention on the campus of Ozark Christian College in Joplin, MO and I feel very similar. I have been able to hear three great sermons, sing praises to God, attend a useful workshop on writing, and spend time with friends, but my devotional and prayer time has been all thrown off, and in a sense I feel disconnected from God. This reminds me how vital it is for us to be intentional about spending time in Scripture and prayer, even when we are in the midst of corporate worship, because we need that personal time with God.

I am so grateful to have this time to hear God's Word
preached, but if I hope to grow I have to take what I have heard and meditate on it and evaluate it and implement it into my life, and that is another reason why personal time is so vital to our lives. We need that time alone with our thoughts to process what we have heard.

My encouragement today, just as it was a couple of months ago, is to be intentional about getting alone with God for a few minutes, no matter what your situation is, because in our time alone we can give our total attention to God. It is in those moments that we gain the greatest clarity for our lives, and that is why our personal time with God is so essential to our lives.


Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...