Monday, March 15, 2010

The Quest for Life

The foundational quest every person is on is the quest to find life. Some might want to argue with me and say that humans are primarily on a search to find God, and that is fine. The two are not unrelated, for a person cannot find life without finding God. Life only comes through a relationship with the Creator; the Life-Maker.

Consider what John Eldredge wrote in The Journey of Desire:  
"We don't need more facts, and we certainly don't need more things to do. We need Life, and we've been looking for it ever since we lost Paradise. Jesus appeals to our desire because he came to speak to it."
Why do I think the search for life is the common quest for humanity? I believe it is seen in the activities people do to find life. These activities show people is search of life and not necessarily God. Some look for life through relationships. They place a high value on quality relationships, and they are always around people. The idea of being alone is the worst idea in the world for them. Life, they hope, is found in the intimacy of relationships.

Other people are on the route of thrills. They are willing to do anything which will bring a thrill into their life: bungee jumping, sky diving, X-game type sports, and even racing. The rush and the adrenaline surge is what they are after. Life, they hope, is found living life on the edge because then they are living in the moment.

There are some people who seek life through artificial means. Drugs provide them with a high to mirror the joy and happiness life is supposed to have. They want life without all the pain and tragedy which comes with it. Life, they hope, is found in a place absent of pain and happiness rules.

Then there are the people on the purpose road. They throw themselves into a career, a family, or an education in order to bring meaning and purpose to their existence. Life, they hope, is found in having a purpose.

I know as I look at my existence these are the parts that make up the life I so desperately want. I desire intimacy, to be fully known to others. I want excitement, to be in awe of what is happening around me. I desire joy, to be able to have hope no matter what is happening. And I want a purpose, to know I count for something.

I am on a quest to find life. For me this journey has only one starting point: Jesus Christ. "I am the WAY, the truth, and the LIFE. No one can come to the Father except through me" (John 14:6, NLT). Jesus promises that He is both the journey and the life. Not only does Jesus take us to the life that we need, but He is also the life we desire. Life only comes through Jesus.

If I claim to know life, why do I insist on saying I am "seeking life"? The reason is because life is not a one time event. The life that satisfies me today is not the life that will satisfy me tomorrow. Life is not found simply by coming to Jesus, but it is found in following Jesus. "Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing" (John 15:5; NLT). Jesus is the source of life, and if we are to have life we must remain with Him.

The quest I am on is not just to find the source of life, but rather to discover the life I was meant to have. This quest will only find its completion with heaven, but it also means finding life everyday of my life right now. Life can be discovered. It is my journey, and I hope you will decide to come along with me.

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...