Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Busted Again

Here recently it seems that God has been using Scripture to point out attitudes and behaviors that I need to change.  This morning the Gospel reading for the day was Matthew 15:21-28:
After going out from there, Jesus went to the region of Tyre and Sidon. A Canaanite woman from that area came and cried out, "Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David! My daughter is horribly demon-possessed!" But he did not answer her a word. Then his disciples came and begged him, "Send her away, because she keeps on crying out after us." So he answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." But she came and bowed down before him and said, "Lord, help me! "It is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs," he said. "Yes, Lord," she replied, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table.  Then Jesus answered her, "Woman, your faith is great! Let what you want be done for you." And her daughter was healed from that hour (NET).
Too often I find my attitude in ministry is just like the disciples, to help only those who are "deserving" of help.  In other words, I don't want ministry to be too hard or to take me out of my comfort zone.  I want ministry to be nice and easy so that my gifts can shine through and people think: What a wonderful guy Paul is.

May my eyes be open to what God is doing in the world and the opportunites to love and serve that He puts in my way, even when those opportunities are difficult.

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...