Monday, July 19, 2010

Don't Stand Condemned

Morality doesn't come easily, in fact, it is down right hard.  The truth is that I am not the moral man that I desire to be.  The scary reality about this truth is that if I removed all of God's laws and all of society's laws I would still be an immoral person.  Why would I be immoral?  The reason is simple: I cannot even live up to my own standard of ethics.  I am not as generous as I should be, I tend to eat way too much, I am unloving to people (even people I care about), and I waste too much of my time rather than being productive with my days.  I cannot even construct a system of morality that I can keep perfectly.

In his book The Problem of Pain C. S. Lewis wrote, "All mean alike stand condemned, not by alien codes of ethics, but by their own, and all men therefore are conscious of guilt" (p. 19).

I want to suggest that this desire to creat a moral law and our guilt for not living up to it is a reflection of the reality that our lives are not what they should be.  Each of us struggles with the fact that we haven't kept the simplest moral law, and each of us has a longing for our lives to be different.

We can make all the rules, resolutions, and promises we want; but our only hope is Christ Jesus.  This is why the apostle Paul wrote; Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin (Romans 7:24-25; ESV).  I can be condemned or I can trust Jesus, those are my two options.  If I keep trying to create my own way of living the more guilt I will accumulate, but if I trust Jesus I find forgiveness and a brand new way to live life.  I choose forgiveness.

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...