Saturday, November 06, 2010

Don't Return the Mud

{2 Peter 2:20-22; ESV}
For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them. What the true proverb says has happened to them: The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire.

I don’t know about you but I often find myself struggling with the same sins all the time. There are certain sins that hold no attraction to me at all but there are others that continually seem inviting, no matter how horrible I try to make the be. Once we have established a behavior or attitude it is certainly hard to break.

This is no excuse for remaining in sin. There are consquences for not struggling against sin and throwing it out of our lives. This is one of the problems that Peter addresses in this passage from 2 Peter.

Bruce Oberst in his commentary Letters from Peter wrote:

“If we do not frequently recall to our minds the great blessing of being clean through the blood of Jesus, we will soon go back to the dogvomit and the sow-wallow” (pg. 145).

One of the reasons it is so important for us to be in God’s Word on a daily basis is to be reminded of God’s great love for us. As we read the Bible, listen to sermons, or discuss Scripture with friends we are being reminded of the truth of the Gospel. We are also putting ourselves in a position to all the Holy Spirit to use the words from the pages of the Bible to convict or encourage our hearts with Truth.

I know that in my life when I struggle the most with sin is when I neglect God’s Word. Instead of filling my mind with God’s Word I allow other things in that lead my thoughts down paths they should not go down. When I don’t make God’s Word an important part of my day the struggles with temptation and sin seem to be greater and more out of control which, in turn, overshadows the Truth of God’s love.

Christ Followers must be dedicated to the Word of God. The Holy Spirit using the Truth of Scripture purifies our hearts and minds and helps us to make good choices rather than giving into the temptations that spring up in our lives. One of the best way to begin to overcome sin in our lives is to give our hearts and minds something pure, good, and truthful to ponder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I pray. I talk to God. I don't see the difference between praying and talking to God. The Preacher says God loves me. I know somewhere in the bible that it says no good can come of this flesh. Something like that. I choose to do right. It never stays that way. Even though I've been baptized and I believe Jesus Christ rose from the dead, I just can't seem to live my life the way He wants. Sometimes I choose to do wrong. At that moment I want to do wrong. Does God know that I cannot and sometimes choose not to do right. At times I feel guilty for praying. But, I keep praying. God has answered my prayers. I have faith. I feel that it's not enough. Oh well, I'll just keep praying.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...