Friday, September 30, 2011

The Myth of Sexual Equality

Today I want you to take a moment and ponder these two blog posts.

Why Can’t a Woman Be More Like a Woman?
In the movie musical My Fair Lady, Henry Higgins sings longingly, “Why can’t a woman be more like a man?” 
I say, be careful what you wish for, Henry. 
I hear confession is good for the soul. On Saturday, I rented a movie that I had been really excited to see. Maybe some of you gals have heard of it—it’s called Bridesmaids and it was the number one comedy for quite a while a few months back. My husband and kids were out of the house, so I made a plate of munchies and sat down eagerly to enjoy myself.

Continue Reading...

The demise of equalitarianism
Logic is now beginning to lead others to conclude something I asserted here long ago. And that assertion should never have been any more controversial than a statement that water is wet or increasing the labor supply reduces wage rates. Sexual equality is not societally viable:
Continue Reading...

Here is the simple point I want to make: Men and women are not equal.  That certainly doesn't mean one is inferior to the other.  I recognize that my wife is vastly more capable at many things than I am and there are a few areas that I am gifted more than she is, and so it is not an inferior/superior thing I am talking about here.  In fact our standing in Christ is exactly the same.

What this is about is the fact that men and women are different, and we need to celebrate and embrace those differences for the sake our society, our families, and our churches.  Part of the problem that we are facing in our nation today can be directly traced back to the fact that mothers have chosen to work outside of the home and left the hard and essential work of raising children to someone else.  We are surrounded by people who grew up not only fatherless, but motherless as well, and therefore they are left without an identity or a grounded morality.

If our society is going to be saved it will require women to choose to be the primary caretakers of their children and to ground these developing souls with love, morality, and a place of belonging.  I am so thankful to my mother who chose to fill me, as well as my brother and sister, with love and with faith in Christ Jesus.  Her love, teaching, and example has paid for itself over and over again in my life (This is not to exclude my dad for the part he played in my development, but rather to recognize my mom's effort).

We need men to be men and we need women to be women.  I know this goes against what our culture says and even the supposed "progress" we have made, but our society will not survive if we continue to progress the way we have being going.

6 comments:

Mrs C said...

I will read these posts.
I totally agree with you(which can be unpopular even with Christians)
the misconception is that to not be 'equal' in how society terms the equality - is in some way demeaning to women... but society can't see it Gods way as they don't listen to Him, We can expect that from the world as in general it is in opposition in every way in its systems to the systems of God, however,I find it disturbing that this non Godly view of men and women and their roles etc. is so deep seeded in the church... who are we listening to for our paths?!!
My husband and I have had fun with this as I come from a home where women are quite dominant and he comes from a home where a mans place is one of zero authority and men are mocked and so on
So when we got saved and decidd to walk it Gods way we had to shift everything around. God has been so faithful to guide us and this year(our 5th year married now) we can really see the Eph 5 in our marriage and God is in it so much and it feels like order is restored - but yet neither of us feel 'lesser' I dont anyway.
God shows himself through the gift of marriage and I think when we see men and women in a way thats opposite to eph 5 then we also misunderstand God and the Churchs relationship with her bridegroom Christ - no wonder the worldwide church is in such a mess

Thanks for the great posts as always I love to read(sorry for the long response LOL)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

You might find this interesting. http://www.jewfaq.org/women.htm
The way Judaism views the role of women.

Paul Steele said...

Thanks for sharing your experience Lisa. I am glad that you enjoy reading my posts! This issue is definitely another area in which we need to take our cues from the Bible rather than culture, because if we take them from culture we will go down the wrong road.

Liane said...

Very thought provoking, Paul.

Here's my dilemma though: I've been single for 11 years and I've been in a couple of relationships over the past two years. From what I've seen out in the world as a single woman I can understand why more and more woman rather prefer wearing the pants. It is because too few men want to anymore. (And sadly for the single ones of us, those who do, are already married.)

The reality is - I believe - that men have been given something in the spiritual realm by God that woman will never have. So we can't have it, men won't take it up... What a sad waste of some powerful stuff!

At this point in my life I have to admit that I'm quite ok rather just being without a man. (Perhaps, in a way, that is pretty sad.)

Paul Steele said...

Liane, I agree with you. The failure of men to be men contributes to this problem. When men fail to be fathers and providers then those burdens fall on women. That is why one of the most important messages the Church can give is the message of what it means to be a man.

Liane said...

Touche, Paul :)

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...