Thursday, October 06, 2011

Daily Thought: The Desire for Progress

"One of the clear distinctions between us and the rest of created life is that while insects, reptiles, birds, fish, amphibians, and even mammals are content with surviving, humans are not content to simply survive; we are driven to thrive.

"It's not enough for us to merely exist; we are compelled to achieve.  This drive would not even exist without a concept of time.  We understand that each day is not a reoccurring cycle of static events.  The human experience is not only that  time moves, but that we do too.  We have been created with not only awareness, but a need for progress." ~ Erwin McManus, Soul Cravings

2 comments:

Liane said...

I've often felt this desire but - at times - I've felt guilty, as if I'm not content. Sometimes I still struggle with it, but I've realized that it is not a sin to want to achieve. Be content where you are, whilst on your way moving forward.

Paul Steele said...

I agree that we need to have a contentment about life, because I think that shows our gratitude for the blessings God has given us. We have to remember that God also gives us desires to improve the world in which we live.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...