Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Daily Thought: We Avoid What We Fear

"Whenever we are afraid of what a commitment will lead to, our instinctual response is to say no.  Fear always asks the question, 'What if?' What if I get married and he doesn't change?  What if she does change? What if I take the job and it doesn't work out?  What if I'm not successful?  And this is what often concerns us about making a commitment to Christ.  What if he wants me to share my faith and he points to my neighbor's house? What if he wants me to serve and he point to a homeless shelter?  What if He wants me to adopt and points overseas?  What if he want me to reconcile and he points to my childhood home?  Psychologists tell us that the number-one way people deal with fear is avoidance.  We just stay away from people and places that cause us anxiety." ~ Kyle Idleman, Not a Fan, p. 181

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...