Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Daily Thought: We Need to Think

"Part of the problem in contemporary Christianity, I believe, is that  talk about the freedom of the Spirit, about grace which sweeps us off our feet and heals and transforms our lives, has been taken over surreptitiously by a kind of low-grade romanticism, colluding with an anti-intellectual streak in our culture, generating the assumption that the more spiritual you are, the less you need to think." ~ N. T. Wright, After You Believe, p. 158

3 comments:

Liane said...

I very much agree! It reminds me of something I heard Joyce Meyer say - something like "...RENEW your mind, not LOSE your mind..." I have to say though, sometimes it is confusing for me - maybe not so much in knowing right from wrong, but when I have to make decisions for my life - where does the line lie between faith and intellect, because there are times when what you may want to do is more a step of faith than logical wisdom. The best I've been able to do, is to pray about things that I've thought about (best I can) and then to follow the option that I have peace about in my heart. That's mostly worked good results for me.

Paul Steele said...

I think that when our minds have been transformed then there isn't a line between faith and intellect because the two will be one. That is why it is important that we pray for the transformation of our heart and mind as well as allowing Scripture to become the foundation of our knowledge.

Roxie said...

The less you need too think ! Now that just might be the answer as to why some of different Faiths today have forgotten what God's principles are and what is clearly wrong in Gods eyes is being allowed as bases for being saved.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...