Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Purifying Our Hearts

Part of my Bible reading this morning was James 4:7-10:
7 So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world. 9 Let there be tears for what you have done. Let there be sorrow and deep grief. Let there be sadness instead of laughter, and gloom instead of joy. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor (NLT).
The part that stood out to me was the exhortation by James to purify our hearts. The question that immediately arose in my heart was; "How can I purify my heart?"  In my mind this purification is only something that God can do.

Almost as soon as I thought the question the answer appeared before: we must be loyal to God.  James implies that the reason our hearts need to be purified is because our loyalty is divided.  We are not totally loyal to God, instead our hearts also chase after the things of this world.  For us to purify our hearts requires us be exclusively loyal to God.

This dovetails with what I read in Not a Fan this morning.  Kyle Idleman focused on the phrase "come after me" that is found in Luke 9:23.  He pointed out that the best way to understand that phrase is to observe the way a person pursues a romantic relationship.  True romance requires a person whose heart is not divided, but is solely focused on his/her love.

He points out that this passion is seen in the parable of the pearl of great price:
 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like a merchant on the lookout for choice pearls. When he discovered a pearl of great value, he sold everything he owned and bought it!" (Matthew 13:45-46, NLT).
Once the man discovered the great pearl his heart was set on pursuing it, there is nothing that would distract him for obtaining it.  Kyle goes on to write:
"When we discover the life that we can have in Jesus we are to come after him like this man pursued this pearl of great price.  Fans will be careful not to get carried away.  Followers understand that following Jesus is a pursuit that may cost them everything, but it is the best investment they could ever make.  Followers will do some crazy things for love, but fans want to play it safe" (p. 133).
In order to purify hour hearts then we need to have such a focus on following Jesus that we will not be distracted by the things of this world. This intense focus will cause us to do things that will appear crazy, but in the end will be the best way to live.  When we are so loyal to Jesus then our hearts cease to be divided, and thus they are able to be healed. To passionately pursue Jesus is what we can do so that our hearts can be purified.

3 comments:

Mrs C said...

I needed this today. This is what I seek after daily and today i felt so overwhelmed with it all! Sometimes I wish God could just take away the flesh!!!

I always thought of that parable the same way - we count the cost, we give everything in persuit of Him...and it is indeed that however to further use the analogy of the lovers, not only one lover feels that way about the other; so although it is correct that we should sell everything to obtain that pearl God did too

I read the testimony of a woman healing from years of abuse and she was in shards of pieces really...God restored her over a long process over years in which He healed her and showed her His love-true-healthy-protective love, unlike she had experienced by her abusive father
anyway - during this process He spoke to her one day and he told her SHE was the pearl of great price and that H e had given everything for her and that's how much he loved her

I had never viewed it that way and i thought it was both beautiful and freeing!
it reminded me that its not like we just sacrifice everything to follow Him but we do that becasue He first did that for us-he gave everything for us!

great thoughts for this evening, thanks :)

f said...

Unfortunately, I tend to spend most of my day in the pursuit of work and tasks of daily living and schedule the pursuit of a closer relationship with God for when I have time.

I have to constantly remind myself that "all things are made of God," and I can pray to and contemplate God at all times in, and in all tasks of, my daily life. As described by Esther DeWaal in her book on Celtic prayer, I hope to someday be able to make no separation of praying and working, of praying and living. This is my goal.

I like the term, passionately pursuing Christ. Thank you for this.

Paul Steele said...

I am glad that you were encouraged by this post. It is easy to get discouraged when we look at our lives and see how often we fall short of God's will, and we over look two very important truths: 1) our continuing desire to follow Jesus and 2) the strides that have been made (though God's transforming power and our obedience) in the way we live. These two things are what we are responsible for when it comes to purifying our hearts.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...