Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Good Habits

One of the realities of this stage of my life is the fact that I am unable to attend Sunday morning worship on a weekly basis. My current job requires that I work every other weekend and I am scheduled to work the 8am to 4pm shift. So I have missed Sunday morning worship more times in the last four months than I have in my entire life leading up to that point.

What I have realized is the importance of good habits in our lives. I am surprised how fast this every other week thing became the new normal and how I don't even give it a second thought now about missing Sunday morning worship. There is no doubt in my mind that without other good and essential habits it would be very easy to let the current of life to sweep me away.

One of the habits that I have is a morning Bible reading, devotional, and prayer time. These private disciplines are essential in rooting my life in God. There is no doubt that in the hustle and bustle of life that a daily time with God helps give us focus on life and taps us into God's transforming power.

A second habit that has proved to be essential is weekly participation with our life group. This is such an important time for me and functions much like Sunday morning for me. We have a time of praising God, a time of study and discussion, and a great time of prayer. To be honest without this group I would not be able to miss Sunday morning worship as much as I do. I regularly thank God for this small group of people.

The writer of Hebrews wrote:
Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near (Hebrews 10:23-25; NLT).
We need good habits in our lives. Without them we put ourselves in danger of slipping away. Cultivate good habits in your life.

No comments: