Thursday, April 05, 2012

Daily Thought: One Standard of Holiness

There is not one standard of Holiness for God and another for man. The nature of light is the same, whether we see it in the sun or in a candle: the nature of Holiness remains unchanged, whether it be God or man in whom it dwells. The Lord Jesus could say nothing less than, ‘Be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.’ When God calls us to Holiness, He calls us to Himself and His own life: the more carefully we listen to the voice, and let it sink into our hearts, the more will all human standards fall away, and only the words be heard, Holy, as I am holy.

Murray, Andrew (2009-10-04). Holy in Christ Thoughts on the Calling of God's Children to be Holy as He is Holy (Kindle Locations 129-133). Public Domain Books. Kindle Edition.

2 comments:

Liane said...

This one is a very interesting topic because we live in a world where people believe that because they've changed their minds, so have God. I guess it makes it easier on our conscience when we try to fool ourselves this way. I've heard people say (and perhaps I've been guilty myself without realizing it): "You don't understand; yes I lie, but he is an ALCOHOLIC." I think we fool ourselves that somehow we are better than the next person, and yet for God sin is sin - there is no big and small. Lying is listed in the 7 sins that God HATE (in Proverbs). Who are we kidding? This one often makes me stop and ask questions: about myself and what is going on around me.

Paul Steele said...

Liane, we do want weigh sin differently, and often the other person's sin is worse than our own. We forget all sin is rebellion against God and the "smallest" sin in our lives can have a devasting impact on our relationships: with God and others.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...