Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Daily Thought: Prayer Is Not A Waste

That is glorious, and as simple as it is glorious! Thank God, many are trying it. Don't you know any one who is always serene? Perhaps he is a very stormy man by his natural make-up, but troubles and conflicts and reverses and bereavements may sweep around him, and the peace of God which passeth all understanding guards his heart and his thoughts in Christ Jesus.

We all know such persons. How do they manage it?

Just by prayer, that is all. Those persons who know the deep peace of God, the unfathomable peace that passeth all understanding, are always men and women of much prayer.

Some of us let the hurry of our lives crowd prayer out, and what a waste of time and energy and nerve force there is by the constant worry! One night of prayer will save us from many nights of insomnia. Time spent in prayer is not wasted, but time invested at big interest.

R. A. Torrey, How to Pray, Olive Tree Bible Software Edition

2 comments:

Liane said...

For sure it's not! I talk to God every day, but this week I realized that I was talking to Him so nicely that I forgot to really pour out my heart - which had become rather desperate. I finally just cried out for what I really was trying to say and He came through for me. Why didn't I just do that in the first place? :) God certainly listens; do we pray... enough? (and with what heart attitude, of course?)

I think if you're serious enough about prayer - even if our heart attitude is not right initially but we pray anyway - I think we can build the relationship in which Holy Spirit molds us into something better, but just start somewhere (rather than waiting to become perfect enough to do anything). Just come... just as you are. It is a two way street after all. When you come, so does He to meet you. Then it is no longer just about you, and when God shows up... boy! Then the impossible becomes possible! :)

Paul Steele said...

Amen. Well said.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...