Thursday, June 21, 2012

Created to Crave: Part 6

Made for a Different World


The Christian writer and thinker C. S. Lewis wrote: "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." (Mere Christianity, p. 121).  That is what this blog series is about.  I want us to look at the desires we have in our lives and begin to develop a new longing: God's New Creation. The deepest longings of our souls and the cravings of our hearts point to the reality that we were designed for something more.  We weren’t met for this world, so we shouldn't expect for our desires to be satisfied here.

The follower of Jesus Christ discovers that satisfaction can only be realized in Christ Jesus.  Jesus said:
"Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father." (John 15:5-8; NLT)
One of the truths we get from this is that source of our lives is Jesus.  We cannot hope to have life and to be satisfied apart from him.  We must intentionally stay connected to Jesus through prayer, study, and obedience, and as we do we will grow more content and discover the satisfaction we long to have in life.  This will be only a foretaste of what life will be when the old earth passes away and we find ourselves living in the New Creation God has promised.

Instead of endlessly trying to find satisfaction here on earth we begin to hope for heaven.  As we begin to hope for heaven we begin to enjoy the things of this life a little better because we no longer expect them to satisfy our souls, we don’t expect them to do something they weren’t designed to do.

Here is what I want you to remember: We find ultimate satisfaction in Jesus.  Following Jesus will make our lives better, but we will also realize that He is leading us into a brand new world.  It is in that place our desires will finally be met.

1 comment:

Josie James said...

This is so true. Our example is Christ. All we need to do is follow Him.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...