Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Created to Crave: Part 10


Seeking Significance

Do you remember that anti-drug campaign from several years ago where the announcer said: No one says, “When I grow up I want to be a junkie.”


I would think that is true. Everyone wants their lives to count for something.  We desire to have meaning and purpose woven into our lives. I remember in 4th grade telling my teacher that when I grew up I was  going to rid the world of crime. It was an ambitious dream, but one that would give my life significance. 


This desire for significance looks different for different people.  It could look like raising a family or being good at our jobs or becoming famous.  We all want our lives to matter.

This is that question I want you to consider today: What gives your life value?



We were created to crave, to desire eternal things.  Solomon in Ecclesiastes 3:11 wrote: Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end (ESV).

We long for eternity and to experience the things that God created for us to experience and to understand what God is doing, from creation to judgment.  We crave and nothing we experience right now fully satisfies those cravings.

This thought from the late Christian writer and thinker C. S. Lewis has been the foundation for this blog series: "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." (Mere Christianity, p. 121).  Do you find in yourself desires, cravings, that have yet to be satisfied by what this world has to offer?

We just finished looking at the account of the woman at the well. She was a woman who had been rejected and abused.  A list of broken relationships defined who she was.  This woman longed to be accepted for who she was, and Jesus came along and accepted her.  The woman exclaimed, “I have met a man who told me everything I ever did!”  She was excited because Jesus knew her, better then she knew herself, and He loved her and accepted her in spite of what she had done.

Our path to intimacy, eternal intimacy, begins with Jesus.  He restores our relationship with God and as we follow Him He breaks down the obstacles that we erect that make having true relationships impossible.  These relationships give us hope that one day we will experience Jesus’ promise of heaven, where everything will be like it should be.

As a result of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection our lives can be filled with hope that one day all the desires of our hearts will one day be satisfied.

No comments:

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...