Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Freedom from Food Addiction

We live in a land of plenty.  Most of us don't have to worry where our next meal is coming from because our cupboards and refrigerators are full of food.  What we do have to battle with is the place food has in our lives.  Food should be the fuel that provides our bodies with the energy we need to do what God has called us to do.  The unfortunate reality is that we have turned food into a source of comfort, identity, and life.  We are addicted to food.

I am.  Somewhere in my life I believed the lie that real men eat a lot of food.  That lie informs my eating habits and my identity to the point that I have looked down on men who eat sensibly.  So this comes from one who is struggling with you.

It needs to be pointed out that there is nothing magical about this prayer.  This is not the silver bullet to the problem, but rather it is just a piece to the puzzle. We need to address the physical, emotional, mental, as well as the spiritual aspect of our lives to find victory.  If you are struggling with this I would encourage to also seek help in how to eat and exercise properly.  You may even need to find a good counselor to help you understand the emotional reasons for the addiction.

This prayer was written as a way to invite God into our struggle with food.  True freedom is always the result of the work of God in our lives.


But he answered, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God'" (Matthew 4:4; ESV).

Heavenly Father You are my Creator.  You designed my body to need food.  Food is what gives me energy to work, live, and play.  I thank You for providing me with the food that I need.

I ask Your forgiveness for misusing food.  I have allowed food to become a source of comfort, identity, and life.  I confess that I have an unholy bond with food, one that I cannot break on my own.  I am not strong enough to get way from the hold food has on my life.

Father, restore food to the proper place in my life.  Jesus; by the authority you won through your death, resurrection, and ascension; break the chain food has on me.  Holy Spirit, come and bind up my wounded heart and heal the place that I am trying to fix with food.

I declare that I am but a branch and Jesus is the vine, my source of life.  I surrender my life to him.  Food is no longer the place I go to for comfort and for life, but it is the fuel I need to accomplish the mission God has given to me.


1 comment:

Paul Steele said...

I would encourage you to keep using this prayer. Continue on a daily basis to declare that God is your true source of life and that food is just fuel for your body.

Our Identity

{Philippians 1:1-2; NLT}   This letter is from Paul and Timothy, slaves of Christ Jesus. I am writing to all of God's holy people i...